lunes, 2 de junio de 2008

Colonia del Sacramento


Our last day at Buenos Aires University didn´t pass without celebration for I braved the infamous San Telmo pub crawl....but I can´t give you many details!

Despite the cockroaches, I was sad to leave BA. Don´t think I´ve met friendlier people anywhere.

We´re now just over the water in the charming little town called Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. It´s a UNESCO heritage site and it´s easy to see why. Cobbled streets, quaint colonial architecture, a beach and calm make a stark contrast to the craziness of BA.

We´re very much here in low season and winter has very definitely taken hold, so most of the restaurants are empty and away from the old town, there´s an air of desolation about the place. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remember what continent I´m on. Architecture here is undergoing an identity crisis - it ranges from thatched Cornish cottage, to a Spanish villa next door to an alpine hut.

The air has a distinct 70´s feel about it. Most of the vehicles were built then and haven´t seen an MOT since. I can imagine how this lovely little place comes alive in the summer but I slept in my clothes last night. Wasn´t expecting that of South America at sea level! I´ve been curled up by a roaring fire, with a nice red wine and good company for hours so at least I´ve quit me whinging!

No hay comentarios: