lunes, 21 de julio de 2008

And then there was one.....

Just a quick update to let you know that I´m now going solo as my travelling partner ditched me (by email! Apparently I didn´t want to do the same things she did blah, blah, blah) I am nervous, very - and have had a few sleepless nights but have decided to go on and see how it goes.

Please don´t worry, I will be OK. There are gringos everywhere, plus I met a lovely girl, Louise, in Rio so we´re travelling together for a bit.

We´re in Salvador right now, staying in the Pelirinho - the pretty, cobbled old part of the city with a very dark history. Went to my first candomble ceremony the other night. Was relieved yet disappointed not to be witness to any exorcisms, psychotropic drug taking or sacrificial rites. Just a load of women in big lacy dresses and fancy head dresses dancing in a trancelike fashion to some hypnotic drums.

We area eating wonderful mocqueca (traditional Bahian stew without the fish brain juice I unwittingly consumed in Rio!) and falling asleep most nights to the sound of the most amazing drums.

Leaving today though and am looking forward to it since my camera was ripped off from across my body yesterday. Have a sneaky feeling the kids sell them back to the shops so at least have done my bit for the local economy....

No hay comentarios: